The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it. ~James Bryce

A refuge in itself, a story can transform from a creative heap of text into a brand new world

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

This Book Won't Change ANYTHING!

So...I read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and I can honestly say that I gave it a fair chance, around 40 pages into it ( which is was approximately 6 chapters). It was given to me by my mom ( thanks by the way) and I wanted to like it, so I picked it up and started to read.
Wow. That was my reaction, and it was not in an appreciative way whatsoever. I have been personally offended, insulted, and hurt by this author's lack of creativity. Seriously, even though she may have actually experienced this in her lifetime, it made me wonder "Did you like, watch a few LIfetime or Hallmark movie and decide to rip them off and write a book and make money off of it?" You can call yourself a divorcee, someone who has experienced an epiphany, someone who has "found herself"...but really, Gilbert? I can think of soo many books and soo many movies that used the divorce as the pivotal point for self realization! And an Italian hunk to break the monotony of your middle- aged- white- woman pathetic path to self worth? Really?
As a reader, as a writer, I feel like this book is a fake, a phony, a really crappy piece of what the author wanted to call writing, but its just a copy. It is a copy of what major movie industries and "cop-out/ sell-out" writers have created because they know people will throw their money away on this shit. Word of advice wannabe-authors (Gilbert, listen up): be original. If you rip off an idea, you are not a writer, not an artist. Don't you offend any of us who actually appreciate the gift of ideas and can convey them without the insults to other cultures or artists' originality.

No comments:

Post a Comment